Thursday, November 15, 2012

Doing What Comes Naturally

What is your natural talent? Have you discovered one yet? If you are sitting there thinking that you have no natural talents please believe me when I say you most definitely have a talent, you just have not discovered or acknowledged it yet. Up until this time last year I thought that I had no talent, sure I had done ballroom dancing and was quite good but it was always hard work and a talent that needed to be worked on. Yes I believe you can gain talent and can learn to do anything you want but I'm interested in natural talents that for some reason you just have. I discovered mine last year when I joined the local craft group, I was the youngest by about 30 years (I am not over exaggerating!) which did not bother me as I have always gotten along better with older women and I decided to learn how to crochet. One month later I was making and selling crochet items! It was the first thing I had ever experienced a natural talent for, I found it so easy and as I complete projects I was surprising myself with my abilities. I had no idea I was capable of such things.

My first ever crochet project, a baby blanket


I moved onto baby hats
 
Toys soon followed
Baby clothes

And my greatest achievement to date! This one may freak you out a little but I love it.I made this for my doula as a present for being absolutely amazing with my VBAC journey. This was the project that really made me realise that I had a natural talent. I was asking my friends what I should make next after I finished my baby blanket and some baby clothes and my doula sent me a picture of a birthing doll and said that if she could crochet she would make this. I looked at it and laughed, there was no way I would ever be able to make that, but I was bored one day and just began following the pattern...... 3 weeks later "Bertha" was completed. She actually gives birth complete with baby and placenta :) My doula loves absolutely loves her!
 
I am currently working on a blanket just to use up some excess yarn and hopefully next year I will be attempting to crochet a 1950's style dress! Cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment